Monday, October 1, 2018

STORMY daybook


Outside My Window
The biggest storm since they began tracking storms has hit our home. Here are a few shots from our neighborhood. Much more devastation than these depict in other parts of HK...

middle of the road - going down to Repulse Bay Beach



It really did wreck havoc and the clean up effort will be Herculean. But this city never ceases to amaze me.... no deaths reported. And things like post offices and restaurants were open as usual the very next day (when I took these pics). The roads still blocked, they were 'walking accessible' only, which is even more remarkable.



And schools were back up within 2 days. Yep. The 'get back up an keep going' spirit of people here is FOR REAL. It's legit. I love it. Puts a whole new meaning to "show must go on".

our beach

so sad - trees that have been here many years (a famous one over 100 years old in Kowloon) have fallen. Thankfully, every single building remained standing. Only a few with windows blown in.

this guy - with his small hand saw - at work the morning after the storm


look at that queue for the bus! So many people struggling (and determined) to get to work in the chaos

beach is now up on the road... the entire landscape so very changed


during the storm ....

bunch of teacher kids who live in the building gather for a movie in the conference room during the scariest part of the storm - hooray for distractions 




I'm Thinking About
my children. growing so fast! And considering the perspectives they have both been offered and are defining for themselves....


I Don't Want To Forget 
How it feels to hold a baby. To feel his chubby little hands brush (or whap) me, his soft mouth as he gets his milk, those eyes and how much he conveys with them, his little ooo's and gaaah's, those toes!








I'm Learning 
Word Press (for school). And Fountas/Pinnell assessments (also for school).
How to heal up my diastasis recti - thankful for my amazing physiotherapist!

I'm Hearing
white noise. Because nap time.

I'm Reading
First They Killed My Father - by Loung Ung - story/memoir of a Cambodian refugee

Around The House
it's a mess. please don't look.

At Work
Enjoying my new class and new administrative team! Also feeling very overwhelmed and unable to be the teacher I want to be right now - because LIFE.









with his physio - Dr Winkie - treatment for torticollis still going strong

"these are a few of my FAVORITE things!"

teachers are now posting on INSTAGRAM - fun as a parent and new learning as a teacher. :)






Eating
Went back to Yardbird (finally!) with my girls the other week - what a treat! Chicken done right. Yakitori and chickens slaughtered that very morning. SErioulsy - I don't usually like chicken but I love yardbird.

And baby boy.... so funny! Here are his latest favorites (funny guy):
* vietnamese spring roll * congee (rice porridge) * bread * meat *

 

So Very Hong Kong






One Of My Favorite Things
my husband!

A Less-Than Favorite Thing 
feeling overwhelmed

I'm Thankful
for my physio
for the typhoon not breaking our windows 
for Ainsley having a great start to Grade Five

I'm Planning
to night-wean.... I *think*
(yes, he still nurses every 3 hours through the night and I LOVE-HATE it)

Picture Thoughts :
day before the storm.... strong current but GORGEOUS day!




first lost tooth!

No comments:

Post a Comment